Friday, May 22, 2015

Thoughts on Spiderman

Lately there has been a lot of talk about Spiderman, a topic that I myself am quite fond of. A few months back there was talk about ending the Spiderman movie reboot with Andrew Garfield and taking it in the direction with alternate universe Miles Morales who appears in the monthly series "Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man" and first appeared in Ultimate Fallout #4 in August 2011 following the death of Peter Parker (No worries in other universes Peter Parker is alive and well.) Miles Morales is of African American and Latin descent, drawing on inspiration from U.S President Barack Obama and American actor Donald Glover. Back in 2010 Donald Glove became the online face of Miles Morales after fans saw him wearing a Spiderman costume on TV and began tweeting "#donald4spiderman." At first when I heard about all of this, I thought it would be hard to imagine seeing anyone else other than Peter Parker as Spiderman, but I think that if a third reboot were to happen Miles Morales could bring something new and exciting that the franchise hasn't had before. Plus, who really wants to see the origin story of Peter Parker Spiderman any way? We all know that story. I'm pretty interested in seeing the story of Miles Morales, something we haven't seen before. The whole point of Spiderman is to imagine him any way you want, so why not have a Spiderman that is not a nerdy caucasian male. Although this new direction sounds promising, I have also read some snippets about starting Spiderman again but with another nerdy caucasian male and significantly younger than Andrew Garfield (Example A, Example B.) When I read this I was pretty mad and to be honest I hope it's not true. I don't see the point in starting all over again with a new Peter Park/Spiderman to essentially tell the exact same story for a third time! If Andrew Garfield is no longer going to be the face of Spiderman then why not take it a new direction. To be honest I would be pretty mad to see another nerdy caucasian male Spiderman when the choice is there to have Miles Morales. I say either continue with Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spiderman or start something new with Miles Morales/Spiderman!

-leelou

No comments:

Post a Comment